Saturday, August 6, 2011

Herb Drying for Winter


I know it it early, but the herbs have been abundant and yield better when they're trimmed, so I've started drying for winter. All summer long I've been updating my herb book, investigating natural remedies, aromatherapy, compiling all the wonderful uses for herbs and oils.
I am so interested in natural medicine and herbal remedies. The earth's abundance always amazes me. I took care of my own sinus infection a few weeks ago with teas and chest rubs. The many uses for things like lavender and geranium are incredible.
Currently I am drying peppermint, spearmint, lemon mint, lemon balm, lemon verbena, thyme, sage, tansy, and rosemary. When the days aren't too humid I hang them off of the porch to let the sun help dry them, the verbena is currently in my closet, which is warmer than the rest of my room. It perfumes all of my clothing with its loveliness. I have discovered that tending my garden and being around my herbs makes me happy. It gives me a sense of fulfillment to work with the earth and help her to grow wonderful things. I've enjoyed it ever since I was a little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment