Saturday, January 29, 2011

Blog Carnival: Love

Is there any more an abstract concept in the entire world? The Greeks had, what? Six words for love to describe the different nuances, but the English language tries to confine it to one.
This installment of Blog Carnival for The Etsy Bloggers asks me to talk about love.
I love many things and people (though I've never experienced that great revelation of being truly and mutually in love with someone), but the things I love most are, like the word, abstract.
I love nature, music, and God, ideas, stories, making things with my hands, and watching the flowers burst out of the earth.
Sometimes I feel frustrated and lonely. Sometimes nothing has gone right in week, I'm cold, I can't find any inspiration, and I've had a marathon migraine. Those are moments when I become afraid that I'm forgetting how to love. But I always find a way out-- eventually. Sometimes it takes longer than I'd like.
I think that love is something we're all born with, but have to learn about as we get older. We all have the ability, it's the application that gets tricky.
When I see people in relationships they aren't full commited to, just for the sake of being with someone, I can't understand it. The same as when I see people majoring in accounting or chemistry just because they think it will pay well when they graduate, not because it's what want to do. If you aren't burning to do something, if love isn't your motivation, why do it? If you have the option to choose love, do it.
My parents think I'm a mad idealist, but I can be quite cynical when I want to be. It just doesn't seem like that's the way to plan my future. I want to be a writer and an artisan and even if I have to do other things along the way to stay off the streets, I will. Just so long as I'm doing the things that make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment